Monday 10 October 2016

Contouring & Highlighting for Pale Skin: Drugstore Edition


It's nearing the winter and that can also mean one thing.. the summer tanned skin has well and truly faded. I used to be able to get away with all the bronzer I could have dreamed about a couple of months ago but now I'm back to my pale self again. I know some people are all about embracing the pale, but for me I'd rather have a tan whether that be a faux glow from a bottle or a proper sun tan.

I've found that my usual go to face products were looking a little off colour (so much blending was needed!) so I've had to pull out my go to products for when I'm feeling and looking rather pale. There is nothing more awful and terrifying that that horrible 'orange' line when your foundation meets your neck.

I've been buying make up for years and still to this day I find that the neither Superdrug or Boots have a massive range that cater for paler skins. They have in recent times brought out foundations and concealers but I am still waiting for the perfect contour and highlight. 

In terms of contour, I would recommend the Soap and Glory Solar Powder Bronzer. They have recently changed the packaging from the old cardboard to a plastic and whilst I still own the old packaging I think the product inside is great. It is a split pan with a matt darker colour perfect for contouring and then a light bronze with a touch of shimmer on the other side perfect for bronzer. This product is the perfect ashy tone without being grey which is what you are looking for in terms of a contour. The powder is buildable so can give a subtle or a more dramatic effect.

To apply this, I take my brush and place it to my ear and follow the hollow of my cheek bone right in towards the outer corner of my eye. You don't want to apply this any further into your face as it will only look dirty and make the contour look less natural.

For a cream contour, I have really been enjoying the Maybelline Master Contour Sculpt Duo Stick. It is a double ended crayon that is really creamy. One side is a contour and the other a highlight, so it's perfect for on the go. I like to apply this in the same areas I have talked about above but I love to blend it out using the Real Techniques Contour brush from the Core Collection. 

In terms of highlight, I'll start with primer. The Loreal Lumi Magique Primer is gorgeous, I apply this with my fingers to the tops of my cheek bones and blend it in. I try and avoid the T-zone with this one as it is quite shimmery but it gives a lovely pearly finish without looking that horrible glittery particles that sometimes comes with drugstore highlighters. 

If you are looking for an under eye highlight, I would highly recommend the Maybelline Fit Me concealer. I've talked about this before in a previous post but I cannot recommend it enough. It is perfect for brightening the under eye area without looking cakey.

For a powder shimmer highlight, I have been loving the Sleek Highlight Kit in Solstice. This palette contains 4 highlights, one cream and 3 powders. I can describe the colours as 'icy' and one of them is a strong contender as a dupe for the highly popular Becca Champagne Pop. I apply these with the Real Techniques Setting Brush and to be honest I just use a mixture of all three of them. I like to apply them to the tops of my cheek bones and then onto my cupid bow. Because they are so pigmented, I tend to blend it further with a larger powder brush just so that it looks a little more natural. The 'I heart make up' brand that is stocked in Superdrug have a highlight called Goddess of Love which is beautiful and also a great dupe for the Bobbi Brown Shimmer bricks. 

Boots and Superdurg are always having 3 for 2 offers so that is the perfect opportunity to give some of these recommendations a go. I hope this helps any of my pale faced readers out there. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment