Saturday 26 March 2016

How to: Make Your Make Up Last All Day

Over the past 2 years I have been able to really test the longevity of make up products. Those good old 12 hour shifts in a roasting hospital environment are the perfect conditions to see if a product lives up to its 'long lasting' claims. I do have an oily t-zone which is my main problem when trying to make my make up last long. 




1) Skincare

Long lasting make up looks begin when you are carrying out your skincare routine. I would recommend using an exfoliator on your skin, whether it be a liquid or grainy exfoliator to renew the surface of the skin, leaving a lovely clean and even base to which your make up will sit a lot better on top of. I would also suggest using a light mosituriser (like the Simple one) and an eye cream (Boots Simply Sensitive one is great), this helps to hydrate and plum the skin, make up will be able to apply nicer onto the skin and it will last longer as your skin won't be drinking all your foundation up.

2) Primer

As far as I can remember I always wore a primer before applying any make up to my face. I used to be a massive fan of the Benefit Porefessional but after a while I realise it was the cause of my breakouts, however it is an excellent primer. Its silicon based so it helps to smooth over any open or large pores creating an even canvas where make up will not be setling into the pores, I then discovered my absolute holy grail primer, the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer. It's so pricey but a little goes a long way, I had my first bottle for over a year and a half. Unlike the Benefit primer this one is very liquidy in consistency, it also has less of a perfumed scent and I find that it feels  alot lighter on the skin whilst still providing the same pore erasing and smoothing benefits. A product that has recently been really hyped up about online is the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm in Sensitive. Make up artists are using this as a primer due to its high glycerin content, it;'s best used by massaging it into the skin until it becomes almost tacky and then it is suppose to act as a 'glue' almost for your make up to adhere to. I have also tried the Smashbox Photofinish Primer Water, this is in a spray bottle and to be honest, I don't think it offers the same pore minismising and smoothing properties as my favourite counterparts however it is a lovely step to spritz onto the face or make up brush to allow a smooth and easy application of cream and foundations. 

To make your eye shadows last longer I would suggest using either the Urban Decay Primer Potion or the Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I've tried using a plain concealer in the past to prime my eye lids but it's often very drying which makes shadows apply unevenly and are difficult to blend. So these primers really help to create a smooth base that is guaranteed to lock your shadows into place and last all day with no creasing. 

3) Powder

I'd always been a pressed powder girl, for one because it is handy to carry about and that there is plenty of variety of brands in the high street. I have been using the Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot pressed translucent powder for a while but it just was not cutting it in terms to keeping the oils at bay around my nose. I decided to invest in the Laura Mercier Loose Powder in Translucent from SpaceNk and I am a complete convert. To get the most out of this powder I use it to set my make up with a powder puff. I use a patting motion to apply a good bit of powder under my eyes, along my jaw line and my t-zone, then I let that set for a few minutes and then use a soft brush to wipe off any excess powder.

4) Setting Spray

Setting spray is always the last step in my routine, I don't know if I'm quite convinced that it actually does anything in terms of making my make up last all day but it does make my make up appear a lot more fresh. The one that I love to use is the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray. It has a very fine mist and the product itself dries very quickly. I have recently picked up the Maybeliene and L'oreal Setting Sprays from Boots and although I think they do exactly the same job as the Urban Decay one, they leave my face completely soaked for about 5 minutes, the spray itself would drown you lol! But definitely worth a go if your on a budget.

Hope these tips make you face last all night long!





No comments:

Post a Comment