Saturday 30 January 2016

How To: Clean Your Make Up Brushes

I don't know about you, but I always dread having to clean my make up brushes. I must have in and around over 90 brushes which makes the task ten times more daunting. I try my best and wash the ones I use the most like my foundation and concealer brush weekly just because they get dirty the quickest and I couldn't stand even thinking about all the germs that are harboring in the bristles. 



I've tried a load of brush cleansers, from brand such as Sephora and Mac but I've finally found two that actually work and both are under £7! My newest favourite is the Real Techniques Brush Cleanser which can be bought online in Superdrug/Boots and in some stores for £6.99. However my secret weapon is the Dr Bronner's Organic Baby Mild Cast Liquid Soap, I spotted this in TKMAXX for around £4 as it claimed that it had over 18 uses, it can be used as a shampoo, a shower gel, dishwasher soap, pet wash and a brush cleanser to name a few. If you can't find it in store, it can be bought online on FeelUnique. 
But... if your on a real squeeze a little taste of Fairy Liquid does the job just as well, plus because it has ingredients that are used to break down grease from food, it does great to clean brushes that have been used with liquid eye liner or creams. 

1) The first thing that I do is fill up my sink with a little water. *Top Tip* do not submerge the brushes in water. Try and hold the brush with the bristles facing downwards. This will ensure that no water or soap enters the base of the bristles where they are all held together with glue. The water can weaken this glue and therefore damage the brush causing it to shed hairs! 



2) I then dampen the brush in this water.    
      

3) I then pour a little taste of the soap onto the palm of my hand



4) Then I swirl the brush in the soap until it lathers up



5) I then rinse the brush under some cold water until all of the soap is removed.
If I'm happy that the brush is clean enough then I will sit it aside to dry
If not I will repeat the steps above until the brush hairs are the colour that they normally are.



6) I dry my brushes by placing them on the edge of my dressing table. I like to leave them over night to fully dry. I try and keep them away from any radiators in order to protect the brushes from heat which can damage the bristles.



Now that you have read this, go and clean your make up brushes! Your skin will thank you and your make up will look even more flawless.

If you don't fancy ruining your hands then Real Techniques have recently released a brush cleansing palette for £12.99 (on Superdrug). A cheaper alternative is the Soap and Glory Massage mitt which is priced at around £7 (in Boots).



Happy brush washing,
lots of love,
Maria xx

No comments:

Post a Comment